Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Rouladen

When I lived in Virginia, my friends and I used to get together every few weeks and make Rouladen, a German dish that has become one of my personal favorites. We had a blast getting rid of our pent up aggressions, then laugh as we cleaned up our mess. I hope you do the same! This recipe is for a dinner for four.

You'll need:
1/2 cup diced onion
mustard
salt
pepper
1 package bacon
4 thin sliced beef steaks
2 cups water or vegetable stock

With a meat tenderizer, pound the steaks so they may be easily rolled.
Spread mustard over top of flat steak.
Sprinkle with diced onions
Sprinkle with salt and pepper
Lay uncooked bacon side by side on top of steak.
Roll the steak tightly. Secure with thread or toothpicks.

In a deep pan, sear the rouladen with leftover onion, and bacon. Continue until meat has a nice color to it and onions are somewhat caramelized.
Add water or vegetable stock and reduce heat. Cover and continue to slow roast for about an hour or until meat is tender.

My family enjoys this entree served with potatoes, and beans. The sauce is great poured over top the beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rate me

I make affordable handmade jewelry. From bracelets to earrings, to complete sets, custom designs available.