Friday, September 23, 2011

44 Days of Witchery: Day 5

A favorite Goddess


My favorite Goddess is Bast, a.k.a Bastet: The Egyptian Goddess of Protection and Cats.
She represents motherhood, fertility, and the hearth. Also, enlightenment, truth, and creation.

I've always been drawn to the Egyptian dieties. Bast was one of the first to call to me. I love the fierceness in which she would do anything to protect her offspring. But also, the nurturing and caring side of her too.
I suppose she is best known for her protective side, and that is why I feel so drawn to her. I have always felt it was my duty to help those around me and be the shoulder everyone leans on as well. As a wife and mother, I find myself dedicated to ensuring a good quality of life for my family.
Perhaps this poem I found describes Bast in the eyes of a husband returning home from a hunt. Do you agree?

Hail Bast! Hail Bast! Hail Bast,
coming forth from the secret place,
may there be given to me splendor
in the place of incense, herbs,
and love-joys, peace of heart in the
place of bread and beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rate me

I make affordable handmade jewelry. From bracelets to earrings, to complete sets, custom designs available.